Researching Fashion Trends for Reselling
Researching fashion trends is a great way to ensure your reselling business is successful and will help you stay focused when sourcing new items. It’s been proven that if you have on-trend items listed, they will drive potential buyers to your account so that you will increase sales. In this article, we will show you how to predict fashion trends so that you can use this information to help you source the right Poshmark items, and increase your sales. Have you ever wished you had a crystal ball to help you predict the current and future trends? Well, keep reading because by the end of this article you will have the tools and the knowledge to predict the trends.
How to Research Fashion Trends for Reselling
We are going to use the data source that many public and private companies, institutions, marketers, and even the government uses to glean data, trends, and current behaviors of people and consumers. What is this incredible source of information? It is the tool that captures all of the searches that people are doing on Google Search Engines all around the world, in the present, in the past, and using the trends to predict the future.
- What people are searching for.
- How many people are searching for it.
- The demand and volume of searches on Google, and whether those searches are increasing or decreasing compared to recent historical data.
Now if this sounds hard and complicated, don’t worry, because Google has made a cleaver (and free) tool that you can use to do exactly what we need. It’s called “Google Trends.”
How to Use Google Trends
Google Trends: click here to launch
- You can view the most popular searches people are searching for on Google.
- You can also search for terms such as “jeans” or “women tops” or “sneakers” “fall boots” and then see all the associated searches, “break-out” searches, top searches, and related topics.
- This is where you will see brands and trends that are popular, increasing, decreasing, or new, as well as the volume and whether it’s going up or not.
- You can change the time period to 30 days, 90 days or 12 months. Notice the end of each line where you can see if it’s going up or down.
- You can also change the geographical area (USA vs Worldwide for example)
Please read the following articles in the Genius Portal for more information on how to use Google Trends. Even though they are written for Poshmark, these tips apply to any reselling platform or resale app (Grailed, Mercari, eBay, Vinted, Depop, etc).
Research Popular Items, Brands and Up-and-Coming Brands
You can also use Google Trends and Keyword tools to research current fashion trends, up-and-coming brands, which brands are increasing in popularity, which brands are the most popular right now, and which ones are decreasing in popularity, trends by geographical area, types of clothing and so much more. You can learn all of these things from an analysis of the Google search terms. If you would like to learn more, check out the section on Keyword Research in our SEO article on the Genius Portal. If you have any questions, please leave us a comment or question below!